Katie's Reviews > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Nov 15, 07

Read in September, 2007

I really love this movie, but as usual, the book is much better and vastly different. In 1985, two women, Ninny and Evelyn, meet and develop a strong friendship. They share treats and conversation while Ninny spins the story of Whistle Stop and its inhabitants, weaving relationships through generations in an enchanting tale of the Old South. The journey is equally important for both women, allowing Ninny to remember and embrace her past while helping Evelyn to accept her past and look forward to her future. Two significant differences exist between the book and the movie; Idgie and Ruth's relationship is blatently lesbian (in the movie they were just close friends), and the racial atmosphere of Alabama was a much more pronounced theme. Flagg's storytelling is bittersweet with many touching moments, and the cast of characters is wonderful. This is a heartwarming look at life, death, love, and friendship, and a great example of Southern Literature.
50 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

02/04 marked as: read

message 1: by Gill (new) - rated it 1 star

Gill I also loved the film so when I saw the book I had to see if it lived up to the film or was better I am enjoying it a lot

Erin Sehorn Having only ever seen the movie, which I love, I was surprised by Idgie and Ruth's relationship in the book. It took me a while to catch on that it was more than "deep friendship" like in the movie. And that no one in the book seems to have a problem with their relationship (very refreshing for a change)! It's nice knowing more of this little town's backstory.

Annie How is it that I had no idea there was a book? I'm kind of shocked. I'm more the type to have read the book first...can't wait to read it