Melindeeloo's Reviews > The Battle Sylph

The Battle Sylph by L.J. McDonald

Feb 25, 10

Read in February, 2010

Battle Slyph starts off a new fantasy series in a world where magical elementals are lured from an alternate dimension and then bound to a master and forced to do their bidding. Trouble, adventure and love, well at least lust, occurs when the binding of the most powerful of all the Sylphs goes wrong.

I have to admit that I bought Battle Sylph because of the cover. And from the cover (picture, back blurb, and recs from authors) I thought that this was going to be a steamy fantasy romance. The Battle Sylph and his inadvertant mistress are key to the events which unfold, but sex between the pair is more of a catalyst for the events that follow than anything to do with romance. Also they are not the only stars of the story - there are also threads for other master sylph pairings.

Expectations aside, I really struggled with the first half of the book. I had a hard time getting used to McDonald's writing style - it was choppy or stilted or something and I just couldn't get into the flow of the story at first. Actually her style felt more like a young adult read even though it isn't.

But once the introductions of the cast were done, the rules of the world explained, and the story started to pick up speed, I did finally find my rhythym. The last half of the Battle Sylph had enough action and pathos to overcome its slow start and overall I ended up liking the story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle Sylph.