Jerry's Reviews > Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto

3261952
Feb 25, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, essays, humor, pop-culture, 2010
Recommended to Jerry by: Bill Simmons (not directly of course)
Recommended for: The Real World and Saved by the Bell Aficionados
Read from February 25 to March 03, 2010 — I own a copy

Things that I learned from reading "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs":

- That Chuck Klosterman is not a morning person which reassured me that being one is not a necessity in becoming a successful person.

- That I didn't miss out on much after I stopped watching "The Real World" after the "The Real World: Sand Diego" season.

- That Billy Joel made other songs than "Piano Man".

- That Tommy Lee is the mfn man. (I already knew that but the book reminded me of his awesomeness.)

- That Chuck Klosterman "supposedly" hates soccer. I find that weird since he looks like the kind of guy enrolls his son in youth soccer leagues. Guess we'll just have to wait a couple of more years (and hopefully, a couple of more books) to see if my hunch is right.

- That I need to come up with 23 absurd yet hilarious questions to everybody that I meet in order to find out if I can really love them.

- That Lisa Turtle from "Saved By the Bell" was "wildly unlikable". (I thought she was ok.)

- That Luke Skywalker was the original Gen Xer.

- That the people who say they listen to everything except country are "boorish and pretentious." (Well, I'd rather be called that then be forced to listen to country music.)

So basically, I learned a whole bunch of stuff about pop-culture and what it says about us as a society. I guess you could say, and I think Chuck might agree with me (if he had a couple of drinks and blunts), that I didn't really learn anything at all from reading it.

But I did laugh (a lot) while reading it, which is all it took for me to like* this book. What can I say? I'm a simple guy.

*It's actually a 3.5 out of 5. I just decided to round down because I wanted my rating average to go down. And I flipped a coin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

02/25/2010 page 9