colleen the fabulous fabulaphile's Reviews > The Affinity Bridge

Jun 27, 10

liked it
bookshelves: steampunk, whodunit
Read from June 24 to 26, 2010

This wasn't a bad little story. It moved along at a fair pace, it had some interesting characterizations - and I love anachronistic female characters - and the mystery wasn't entirely obvious, though it was hardly surprising, either.

I figured it out the first time Veronica visited her sister, and I was kind of annoyed that she didn't.

I was going to bump this up to a 3 1/2 stars, but then came the part with the impossibly unstoppable man.

Ok - here be some spoilers

So, our hero gets himself injured, then stitched up and mended, but still, ya know, injured. Then he ends up doing much derring-do, with constant references to occassional stitches popping - and I was distracted by the whole heroics by the fact that I kept thinking this was a bit beyond the realm of believability.

Then the moment happens where his stitches finally do pop entirely, he as blood streaming down his body - again - and, yet, he still manages to help land the zepplin, half drag an unconscious body to the banks, and only then passes out...

I just couldn't get into the action of it because I kept thinking how absurd it was.

***

I might continue the series. It did have some nice steampunk elements, and the characters were interesting enough - and I'm curious about Amelia and also the little 'twist' at the end. So I guess we'll see.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Affinity Bridge.

06/24/2010 page 38