Miranda's Reviews > The Artist in the Office: How to Creatively Survive and Thrive Seven Days a Week

The Artist in the Office by Summer Pierre

Feb 25, 2010

bookshelves: lady-writers

I'm usually against the self-help book. They tend to say the same thing, the "duh" goes off in your mind, you close the book, and continue your abandoned life. But I was happy to try out this book after hearing an NPR interview and an article over on Etsy. Summer Pierre has a way of opening your eyes to the "duh" and helping you along the way with many excercises and thought provoking questions.

It quickly became more than how to make art outside (inside) your regular day job. It became about having a good work life even if you hate the place. And it had a good section on money and what it can mean to you. These were all good tips as I start at a new job.

I give it 4 instead of 5 stars because some things were redundant. I'm sure it was done to drive the point home but I was ready to move on to the next. I also felt like it was the perfect book for someone who sees themselves as never quitting the day job. Inspiring for all artists but most helpful for those punching the clock and still creating at the end of the day. It's a fairly easy read (took me two days), quite insightful, and filled with enough cute drawings and famous quotes to keep you awake.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Artist in the Office.

Quotes Miranda Liked

“It took me years to realize that I could do all kinds of drastic acts like quitting jobs, relationships, towns (or all of the above), but what showed up at the next job, relationship, & town was still ME.”
Summer Pierre, The Artist in the Office: How to Creatively Survive and Thrive Seven Days a Week
tags: truth

03/31/2010 "Just got it. Want to rate it 5 stars already based on illustrations alone."