Jennifer's Reviews > What Came Before He Shot Her

What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth  George

Apr 27, 2007

it was ok
Read in March, 2007

Let me start by saying that I am a loyal fan of Elizabeth George. I started reading her mysteries in high school, and even had the fantastic opportunity of interviewing her for a high school research paper. I have been to her readings a half-dozen times in a number of different cities. I will read anything she publishes.

This is the second book of hers that I just didn't like. The other one was a collection of short stories called I, Richard. I was completely onboard to love this book. In her last installment of the Lynley series, she killed off a main character, and this latest book was going to go into the killer's mind and background.

Instead of tying up loose ends, George tried to write a social commentary on race and class in London. She also took the opportunity to add a lot of racy scenes into her repertoire. I hated her attempt on every level. The sex scenes were over-the-top unnecessary, and the race/class breakdown dragged on. I had trouble finishing the book, and I *love* this writer.

In the end, not much was revealed, and what was required some tedious research into the minutia of what happened in the previous novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Came Before He Shot Her.

05/28/2016 marked as: read

Shirley Campbell I agree I didn't get past the 1st couple of chapters

message 2: by Cath (new) - rated it 1 star

Cath absolutely agree. I couldn't finish it. Heartbroken at the end of the previous book and continued through this one. Got about 2/3 of the way through this book but couldn't continue. Too depressing and didn't work for me. I am with you that I will read anything she writes but didn't like this one and only marginally liked I, Richard.

Susan I also had trouble finishing this book. I have enjoyed all her Inspector Lynley novels except for this one. Great review and I agree with it! Next up: Careless in Red. Hoping for a return of Inspector Lynley and the rest of " the gang".

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Hill I never finished it. It's the only disappointment from her that I've had. I just want to read about Lynley and Havers, not a social commentary on race/class wars in London. I get enough of that in real life Baltimore.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Well, I feel much better after reading these comments. I am about one third through this book, and I have seriously considered "abandoning" this one. I really don't like any of these characters except the boys and I already know there is a bad ending for them ahead. I love this series, but I am struggling with this one. Plus I am so disappointed that Helen is gone! She was the perfect balance to Lynley.