Karen's Reviews > Execution Dock

Execution Dock by Anne Perry

Feb 25, 2010

liked it
Read from March 19 to 30, 2010

I enjoy Anne Perry's Monk series but the last couple have left me with the impression that she's cranking them out just because she's expected to. This one started slowly, although that's not really unusual in this series, and moved along pretty well through the middle. The ending, however, was unsatisfying. Not with the resolution, mind you, but with the way it was presented. We get a brief glimpse into the personal life of one of the characters and a look at what happens when that character does some detecting, but we never see how that situation affects the personal life -- and we know that it must. Another character falls into an unfortunate situation but instead of showing the reader how this transpires, we're simply told after the fact that it has happened. The same thing happens with the deaths of a couple of other characters; the reader is told that the characters have met their ends but, at the risk of sounding bloodthirsty, the story would have been much more interesting if we could have had a little more information rather than what amounted to "and there were their bodies."

I gave this book 3 stars because it was an okay read and I liked it well enough, but I would probably rate a number of her earlier -- and better-written -- Monk books with 4, maybe a 5 or two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Execution Dock.