Bryan's Reviews > Hello, I'm Special: How Individuality Became the New Conformity

Hello, I'm Special by Hal Niedzviecki

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

I'm about halfway through this book and was immediately struck by how his style of thinking mirrors my own in a very eerie way. However, the major difference between him and I: I have done zero research into this topic.

I do think that we live in a very egocentric country that places comfort and self love - no, aggrandizement - as a top priority in life. I believe this affects not only adults, but has created a new generation of children who want to be regarded as Gods.

This has contributed to my view that this country is full of people who don't understand the impact of their interactions with others because of their inability to have empathy with someone other than themselves.

I suppose when a child is bombarded with constant messages telling her that she's a "super star!" and a "unique snowflake", they lead life with very inflated egos and a sense of entitlement.

I'd highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand how our culture is becoming more self-centered and arrogant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello, I'm Special.