Amanda Piotraschke's Reviews > Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born

Birth by Tina Cassidy

May 19, 08

Recommended to Amanda by: the new york times
Recommended for: people who want a good excuse to never come in contact with the opposite sex and my friend julia
Read in May, 2008

truth be told, i'm squeamish. it's the reason why my career as a nursing major was short lived, post-cat dissection.

i'm also a sucker, so when the new york times book review told me this was going to be a lighthearted romp through the single greatest pain your mother went through, i fell hook, line and sinker. plus, my friend is almost a midwife and i figured it's nice to know what your friends do for a living. what i got instead was a lesson on why your mom has every right to ground you...even in your twenties and why you shouldn't sass your grandmother (because she was probably knocked unconscious to deliver your mom...which, just to refresh, is how you got here). i also now know how to describe a c-section in exquisite detail.

at least i have some new random facts that should come in handy next go-round of trivial pursuit...as well as a strong desire to never have offspring. ever. i also think that my friend the midwife might just be as badass as i suspected. i think i need to go hug my mom now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birth.