Rachel's Reviews > A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy

A Shining Affliction by Annie G. Rogers

F 50x66
Jun 16, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in November, 2007

Ben recommended this book about a psychotherapy student whose first client is a traumatized and disturbed 5-yr old who was abandoned by his mother as an infant and severely neglected by his foster parents. The student writes about each therapy session and interprets the symbolism of what occurred in detail from a psychoanalytic perspective. As their therapy sessions unfold, a trauma in the student's past re-surfaces, resulting in her own mental breakdown. She must piece herself back together in order to continue her work with the little boy- so it's a story of healing for both of them. The book is based on a true story, and was a challenge for me to read because pscyhotherapy is such a new way of thinking for me. At times I thought it was not logical or intuitive at all what conclusions therapists arrive at just by observing and listening to the client. At other times I thought it was purely intuition, perceptiveness, and listening from the heart that enabled them to pick up on things and help the healing process. Very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shining Affliction.

message 1: by Grandma (new)

Grandma Rachel,

Sounds very interesting. Not exactly a relaxing read however. I think I will check it out. Gran