Becca's Reviews > Lake Wobegon Days

Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor

Apr 13, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from April 12 to 13, 2010

How have I missed reading anything by this guy so far? This book was adorable and hilarious and I enjoyed every minute. A collection of rambling stories about a fictional small town in Minnesota doesn't SOUND like it would be awesome - but somehow it is. If nothing else, it's full of pithy quotes and one should read it with a notebook handy for writing down all the things that make you yell "HA!". Love that the town is a character itself. Love that while reading this you will in one moment detest Lake Wobegon as a pit of small-town ignorance, and in the next make plans to move there, even if it is fictional. Love that half the stories (especially about church and Christian childhood) came straight out of my own childhood. Love that Keillor uses footnotes that go on for pages and are usually funnier than the text. Love that because of its plot-less nature, you can pick up and put down this book any time and not feel like you have to get into the story again. The scattered nature makes it perfect for bedtime reading, or a few minutes in between chores or waiting in line at the bank.

Lake Wobegon has me hooked. What's next, Mr. Keillor?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lake Wobegon Days.