Maggie Galvin's Reviews > The Wasp Factory

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Jan 06, 08

Recommended to Maggie by: someone currently in therapy
Recommended for: posers and sociopaths
Read in August, 2007

** spoiler alert ** Ooooh, shock me with killing things and not caring. Yes, I get it, the main character is nuts. Ok, the main character does horrible things. Sure, beat me over the head with this same set of ideas for another 190 pages. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, right?

I read the news every day so I was not the least bit surprised anyone could think like this. The weak plot just pissed me off without enlightening me with a new perspective on the issue or entertaining me. The thing that did shock me was that anyone would write an entire book about this crap, and write it so poorly and without any kind of point, other than "Hey, this kid is CRAZY!" I skipped through the rabbit part when I saw what was coming, and after days of forcing myself to continue reading through the disjointed narrative I finally broke down and skimmed through to the end "twist" everyone talks about. Frankly, I was left saying out loud, "Who the fuck cares?" Dude, I live near San Francisco. Everyone here has gender issues. Big freakin deal. All that garbage for such an insignificant and pointless payout. Sigh.

If you like reading things purely for the sake of shock value or just to be able to say you read it, go ahead and read this. And then go get therapy. Otherwise, skip it.

41 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wasp Factory.

Sarah Amen! I am disgusted.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam You read Maggie Galvin books...why did you choose this one to read? lol cmon

message 3: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Jendriks What does living near San Francisco have to do with this?! By skim reading you've missed the point entirely

message 4: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Reid You skipped half the book, read the end, then decided to share? Thanks for the spoiler.

message 5: by Zeldakinz (new) - added it

Zeldakinz It's really funny that you complain that it didn't "enlighten" you when the book and main character is so anti-enlightenment.

Alison Alsweiler This book was not meant to be skimmed. I can't think of any book at all that context can be gained from with skimming it. Furthermore, it has NOTHING to do with LGBTs.