Joanna's Reviews > The Pact: A Love Story

620387
Jun 09, 10

bookshelves: kindle, audiobooks, 2010-read
Read from April 19 to June 09, 2010

The most interesting facet of the story for me was the question of how well parents know their children. I was also interested in the exploration of the intensity of emotion that comes with being a teenager. The story captures pretty well the world view of teens who definitely believe that they have to handle everything on their own, that their love stories are epic and that their declarations of love and faith must all be heroic and massive. The ability to be caught up in emotional whirlwinds is the unique province of teens, but it certainly is a specialty. This book did a nice job of portraying those feelings without being condescending to the characters.

I still find Picolt's writing to be pretty workaday -- the prose isn't beautiful, but it's functional and not objectionable. The trial dragged a little too much for me, but maybe that's because I'm a lawyer by trade and can't get past the moments that simply wouldn't be allowed in a courtroom. Plus, trials are, in general, pretty boring. Minor quibbles aside, I quite enjoyed the book.

I found the narrator for the unabridged audio version to be excellent. He didn't insert himself too much into the story and didn't try to do voices or characters, but read the lines with feeling and confidence. Recommended for those who can bear Picoult's writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pact.