Jake's Reviews > The United States Constitution: What It Says, What It Means

Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, politics, history
Read from March 03 to 06, 2010

There are three reasons that I purchased this copy of the U.S. Constitution:

1) I have a deep and abiding love for democracy in general, and my country in specific.
2) With midterm elections coming up, and with Tea Party frenzy increasing, I felt a personal responsibility to refresh my knowledge of the nation’s most important governing document.
3) I had three bucks left to kill on a Barnes and Noble Gift Card.

The U.S. Constitution is certainly a good read. And I was way overdue to read the original text in its entirety. This edition, offering supplementary notes, bridges the gap between contemporary English and the legalese used by our Founding Fathers. I found the explanatory material helpful, to the point, and delightfully brief. Honestly, I wasn’t looking to make a deep study of this document. I simply wanted a user-friendly refresher course. That is precisely what this edition provided.

The explanatory notes offered historical context, a sense of what the framers were attempting to create/protect in each clause, and a thumbnail sketch of how specific sections have been revisited in the courts over the last two-plus centuries. I highly recommend purchasing this edition. And I am ashamed to admit only realizing after this read that the U.S. Constitution is not a long document. With an edition like this one the Constitution is easily reviewed-- especially during election years, when we the people help shape the nation’s future.

I’ll be reading this again from time to time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The United States Constitution.

03/03/2010 page 13
03/04/2010 page 38
42.7% "Interesting to see the three branches laid out in the official language of the document."
show 2 hidden updates…