Carolyn F.'s Reviews > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Feb 24, 2010

bookshelves: fiction-classic, movie-or-series-watched
read count: 1

Different than the movie - really funny and disturbing - mostly written through the American Indian's eyes. Great book. Movie was fantastic too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Alice I too loved this book. The background on the writing of it is interesting (if my old college prof was telling us true). Kesey was earning xtra $ as a paid test subject in a government study on the effects of LSD on the creative mind. This book was the thesis for his MFA & it was written in a sterile room, with only 1 chair, while under the influence of various doses of LSD. His knowledge of the subject was gathered while working as an orderly at a mental hospital. His prof trashed it as garbage. He did not receive his MFA. A friend turned it into an obscure play, which young college student Michael Douglas saw. He borrowed $28,000 from Papa Kirk to buy ALL rights from Kesey. Rumor has it that he loaned almost all of it to his musician friends to fix their bus & fund a tour. They never paid him back. They were The Grateful Dead. I had seen the movie before I read the book. After I read it, I liked the movie even better.

Carolyn F. Wow, that's totally interesting. I knew that Kirk had wanted to play the Jack Nicholson role and was angry at Michael for not giving it to him but didn't know the rest.