Harper's Reviews > Succubus Shadows

Succubus Shadows by Richelle Mead

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: series, romance, urban-fantasy, fantasy, paranormal, books-i-own, read-in-2010
Read from June 23 to 29, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** As I finished this book, I think my main feeling was total apathy. Aside from a few parts, I thought it was capital B boring. I read all of the scenes while Georgina was trapped in the dream world and I just didn’t care about any of it. The end was a little bit better, but not good enough for me to give this any more than 3 stars...and it might actually be more like 2 1/2. I’d definitely say it was my least favorite in the series to date.

I think a BIG part of my issue with this book is that I really can’t stand Seth anymore. I liked him in the first two books, but it’s been steadily downhill from there. Aside from the fact that he’s a cheating bastard, he’s also a coward and I just can’t respect him. My dislike of him started when he slept with Maddie right after breaking up with Georgina - which he basically did because he couldn’t have sex with her - and got worse when he started dating Maddie, despite knowing that he’d be constantly throwing the relationship in Georgina’s face. Of course next he cheats on Maddie with Georgina, and then he proposes to Maddie out of guilt instead of just ‘fessing up like a man. If he would’ve told her about the affair and broken up with her, I would’ve at least respected that. I was never cool with the fact that he was marrying her just because he felt bad about being unfaithful. In the end, calling off the wedding was the right thing to do because it wasn’t fair to Maddie to marry her when he didn’t love her in that way. I felt terrible for Maddie, though, especially because I believe that if she had known that Georgina and Seth had dated (I still don’t understand why Georgina felt they had to hide their relationship in the first place), she would have never started dating Seth. She just doesn’t seem the type to go after her friend’s ex-boyfriend. And then yet another strike against Seth - and Georgina, too, actually - was that they were all over each other right after his break-up with Maddie. Georgina certainly hadn’t felt good when she found out that Seth had did the same thing to her, but she didn’t hesitate to pounce on the guy as soon as she was able. Meh. Even though I still like Georgina, my opinion of her dropped a bit this book. She just came off like a huge hypocrite and I got tired of her constant whining. Yeah, you’ve lead a miserable existence, but you brought it on yourself because you couldn’t control your baser instincts. It’s been a couple thousand years. GET OVER IT.

Right now it feels like the only characters I still have any real love for are Carter and Roman. Weird. I still want Georgina to get her HEA, but I feel like she and Seth have a really toxic relationship and I know I’ll be disappointed if they wind up together in the last book. However, it seems unavoidable at this point, especially since the clues as to why Georgina has this “soul deep” connection with Seth were about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Overall, I think this was a disappointing installment in the series. This world and these characters had such potential and I feel like Mead is selling the entire series short at this point. All of the mysteries thus far have been weak and it seems like she’s been recycling the same basic plot in every book. If I’m being honest, it’s gotten rather old at this point. I’m glad the next book will be the last, since I can only see the series degenerating further from here. In fact, I think with better plotting, Mead could have made this book the finale. Ah, well. I’m still going to read the sixth book because I’ve invested the time and effort into reading the others and for the most part I've enjoyed them, but I can’t really say that I’m looking forward to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus Shadows.

06/26/2010 page 7
06/28/2010 page 121
41.0% "Not nearly enough Carter for my tastes! Georgina is being a bit slow on the uptake this book. How is it possible for me to still like Seth, but feel totally over him at the same time?" 14 comments
06/29/2010 page 188
64.0% "Bored. Not much is happening. Time for bed, I think."
06/29/2010 page 292
100.0% "Meh. I think I just figured out how this series will end. Not sure how I feel about this book yet. I'll write up a review later."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Sadly, have to agree with everything you said. A decent series gone down the drain.

Jasmin nice review harper. i've only read book 1. cant wait to get this far. :)