Thurston Hunger's Reviews > In Persuasion Nation

In Persuasion Nation by George Saunders

Feb 24, 10

Read in February, 2010

Long ago, before DVR's people were lined up at electron-gunpoint and forced to watch commercials. This planted an irritating seed in Saunders that nurtured by the decay of America's service economy has blossomed into this collection.

If I were to re-read this, I'd read one story...and then read some other stuff and then come back to the next story a few days later. Using some kind of magical bedpost to keep the bubble gum as fresh as possible. I did enjoy reading "i can speak TM" to my wife and twin boys at the park. Letting kids be kids is something that crosses all political boundaries, but some of the other topics in here will just make those on the blue right cross.

"93990" - a deliberation for animal liberation, willfully and mercilessly never turns the corner. I suspect that is the point. And "my amendment" tames the vermonster of same-sex unions or same-amish-sex or something. Neither one is likely to change any opinions and kind of hits the funny bone hard enough to dislocate it rather than tickle it...

Screeching to the choir?

"jon" ends up being a sort matrix of the test-marketed who in reality television logic become the new stars, and "brad carrigan, american" is also sort of a surreality tv, that helps to set up the advirtual ad absurdum title piece which kaleidoscopes capitalism and religion.

Give us our Daily Dorito?

But is the Daily Show really that much healthier than said the Daily Dorito?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Persuasion Nation.