Shaun Thomas's Reviews > Me of Little Faith

Me of Little Faith by Lewis Black

Mar 07, 2010

liked it
Read from February 25 to March 07, 2010

While Lewis's voice is clearly present in this loosely related collection of religious-themed anecdotes, it felt like he was calling it in, especially toward the end.

And very unlike Lewis, on one of his rants about Jimmy Swaggart, he misinterpreted Mr. Swaggart's apology to The Lord following his infidelities. Jimmy figured God would forget all about his transgressions, and Lewis took that literally--that He was some kind of Alzheimer patient. He went on for pages about this. The problem is that Jimmy was simply implying God would "forget" about his transgressions the same way parents "forget" missteps by their children. Letting it slide, not hold it against him; that's what he was saying God would do for him.

Now, Jimmy Swaggart is obviously a charlatan, and Lewis has every right to be skeptical about anything the man says, but he was reaching here, and badly. I admit his visuals were amusing, but they were wrong. Swaggart says so many things Lewis could lambaste with ease, but he went with a strawman instead? Say it ain't so, Lewis!

And maybe--and I'll be the first to admit this is possible--I'm just too lowbrow to understand it, but he included the entirety of an act he and Mark Linn-Baker from Perfect Strangers concocted called The Laundry Hour, and it was terrible. It was a long read, and not nearly as funny as the rest of the book. I read the whole thing, hoping maybe I was missing something, but no, it was just bad. I can only hope it was much better on stage. It really dragged down the end of the book, though.

The rest is worth it, I'd say, and offers a unique picture of Lewis's childhood and suggests he's always been a brooding malcontent--just as he should be.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me of Little Faith.

03/01/2010 page 100