Talia's Reviews > White Teeth

F 50x66
Nov 14, 07

it was ok
Read in January, 2001

Though this book didn't live up to all the hype it received earlier last year, I still enjoyed it a great deal. When I read a description of the book prior to reading it, I thought it was going to be just about the relationship between Archie and Samad. However, as I read the book it became more the other characters who helped mold the relationship: Clara, Alsana, Irie, Millet and Magid, etc... The psychology in the book is very interesting; it is almost funny to think that Archie wouldn't have met all these people and been in such scenarios had he commited suicide. I also thought this book was going to be hard to get through because there are some many characters; in reality Smith writes about them in such a way that their striking personalities stay with you. After reading it, I realized how the title of the book, White Teeth, plays a major role in how race, politics, and sex collide in today's cosmopolitan London. This is truly a good novel from a first-time author. I hope to see more from Smith in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Teeth.