Elizabeth K.'s Reviews > The World Made Straight

May 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010-new-reads
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Nancy
Read from April 20 to May 02, 2010

I liked the writing here a lot, although I will confess that it incorporates aspects of one of my Not Favorite plots, the non-traditional education. I'm not really sure why I dislike it so much, it always makes me think "oh boo hoo, the 'system' totally under-appreciated you and now you have to go be some maverick unconventional teacher." I find Dead Poet's Society creepy, for example.

HOWEVER, most of the rest of it was fine and dandy, I'm always a sucker for a good Appalachia book, and it also had a solid Civil War backstory, and small-time drug dealers. And the slimiest, most truly evil, of them was a terrific character, so impressive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Made Straight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nancy I'm glad overall it worked for you. I'll keep in mind your non-traditional education dislike for future recommends.

Wasn't Carlton Toomey just the neatest character? Rash's Serena has a similarly compelling villain, if you wanted to spend more time with his writing. And also some kind of pioneer-ish remedy stuff. Which, did you like the doctor journals in this one? I love those interludes.