AH's Reviews > Death's Excellent Vacation

Death's Excellent Vacation by Charlaine Harris

Nov 27, 10

bookshelves: library-finds, anthology, vamps, demons, shifters, witches, were, psychics, zzread-nov-2010
Read from November 25 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

Here are a few things that I did like about this anthology:

1) Each author had a short introductory paragraph outlining their biography and their work. What a great idea. I now have a few authors to look into.

2) The vacation theme was kind of fun. I liked all the different takes on vacation stories.

3) There was a nice mix of authors. I recognized Jeaniene Frost, Charlaine Harris, and Katie MacAlister. The rest were new to me authors and some I will definitely look up.

My favorite stories in this anthology were:

1) One for the Money - Jeaniene Frost. I've missed Cat and Bones, the sexy, loving, happily married, Cat and Bones. Loved them in this story and I now have high hopes for the next book.

2) Safe and Sound - by Jeff Abbott. This is a "new to me" author and I really enjoyed his story about a boy who goes missing on an island vacation. Very well done.

Honorable mention goes to Charlaine Harris' story Two Blondes. I didn't really like it for a Sookie story, but I enjoyed it for Pam's character. Katie MacAlister's story The Perils of Effrijim was also entertaining and makes me want to start reading the Aisling Grey series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Excellent Vacation.

11/25/2010 page 28
8.0% "Finished Two Blondes - Charlaine Harris' contribution. Story of Sookie and Pam on a road trip for Eric. - 3/5 stars"
11/25/2010 page 50
14.0% "The Boys Go Fishing - Sarah Smith. What does a retired superhero do? He retires to a small town in Maine and goes fishing. 2.5/5"
11/25/2010 page 84
23.0% "Cat and Bones story - One for the money. Loved it. I missed this Cat and Bones so much. Cat and Bones need to protect a young heiress from numerous attempts on her life. 4/5" 3 comments
11/26/2010 page 108
29.0% "Meanwhile, Across the Caspian Sea by Daniel Stashower. OK story 3/5."
11/26/2010 page 124
34.0% "The Innsmouth Nook by A. Lee Martinez - a fishy story - 3/5"
11/26/2010 page 150
41.0% "Safe and Sound by Jeff Abbott - I liked this story a lot. Boy goes missing on a Caribbean Island and an ambitious reporter tries to solve the case 4/5" 5 comments
11/26/2010 page 182
49.0% "L.A.Banks story - Seeing is Believing. Cute little story about a psychic girl, some werewolves, and a dog. 4/5"
11/27/2010 page 212
58.0% "The Perils of Effrijim - Katie MacAlister. Story of Jim, Aisling Grey's demon and his "vacation." Can't wait to start reading the Aisling Grey series! 3/5"
11/27/2010 page 232
63.0% "Thin Walls by Christopher Golden. Not sure if this was a succubus story. Meh. 2/5"
11/27/2010 page 260
71.0% "The Heart is Always Right - Lilith Saintcrow. Story about a gargoyle that saves a girl. Interesting. 3/5"
11/27/2010 page 294
80.0% "The Demon in the Dunes - by Chris Grabenstein - A memory of summer vacation 1975 and a great reason not to smoke. 3/5"
11/27/2010 page 314
85.0% "Sharan Newman - Home from America - Leprechaun story. Meh 2/5 Pirate Dave's Haunted Amusement Park by Tori Kelner. Cute story about an amusement park run by a vampire. 2.5/5"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Fantastic review, AH! This book recently came on hold to me at the library but I ended up not picking it up because I though "Do I really want to read another anthology with mediocre writing?" I see that it's not all peaches & cream but that there are a few good ones. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to request this book again ASAP!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Thanks, Lethal. There really were some good stories. Cat and Bones story was worth it, but some of the newer writers (to me) had some good stories. I updating for anthologies because sometimes I get to the end and I can't for the life of me remember some of the stories. I also thought the Lilith Saintcrow story wasn't bad either.

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Really? I didn't even know LS was in this anthology. Awesome! I read a short by her in A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters & I thought it was pretty good, if creepy as hells.

BTW, great idea updating after every short. I'm going to have to do that next time I read an anthology, since I have the same problem.

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Only problem with updating that often was that I kept running to the computer, then I got distracted, then I forgot I was reading...Oh well shiny things just distract me, what can I say?

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Hahahaha! You're not alone. I'm supposed to be spending QT with my Kindle, reading my first ever ebook...yet I'm on here. I can't seem to get shit done if I'm anywhere near GR.

Greta is Erikasbuddy cat and bones get married? WOWZERS!! (yeah... only read the first book so you know lolz!! SPOILER hahahs!)

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Love me some Cat and Bones teamwork....

Greta, I thought you had read the series!

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Love me some Cat and Bones teamwork....

Greta, I thought you had read the series!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Just the first one :) I then got bombarded with a ton of library books and birthday books and stuff. I want too!! I really am wanting 50 hour days :)

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Even if we had 50 hour days, someone would just add to the to-do list.

Greta is Erikasbuddy that's soo true!

Laura the Highland Hussy thanks for breaking it down for us :)

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "thanks for breaking it down for us :)"

You're welcome. I have a new appreciation for anthologies.