Suzan Isik's Reviews > Deathwish

3020465
Mar 30, 10

bookshelves: 2010-books
Read from March 26 to 29, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This is #4 in the Cal Leandros series. If you haven't read the first book in this series, I strongly suggest you read those before reading this review as I might inadvertently reveal some spoilers.

I bought all these books at one time, except for Nightlife, the first book. This is typical. It's rare that I don't finish a series once I start. The only exception to that is the Twilight series, but come on, can you blame me? But I'm not supposed to be talking about Twilight right now. I'm talking about a completely different (Thank the Higher Ups) series.

This one deals with Caliban Leandros and his brother Niko. What I liked that was different about this book was that it wasn't strictly from Cal's POV, which in the past three books, it has been. Some people don't like switching POVs in first person books, but I've found I really don't mind, as long as it's done clearly. And this one was. The POV switch occurred with chapter switches and the voices of the two characters are different enough that I could distinguish who was speaking without looking at the chapter heading to see who the POV character was.

So, the book picks up from the end of Madhouse, where we left Cal with a nice big group of Auphe, the evil elves that live in hell, called Tumulus in this world. The Auphe, nearly extinct (and thought extinct by Cal and Niko) have come back for vengeance. They want to kill everything and everyone Cal loves while he watches and then they have special plans for him.

While this could be considered the main plot, I really didn't see the book as that. There's the relationship between Cal and Niko, and we learn exactly what Niko would do to protect his half-Auphe brother. In my opinion, that's the real story of the book. The bromance, if you will. It's our first glimpse into Niko's head, how he really feels about his brother. The way the human machine actually depends on Cal. Considering what Rob Thurman puts her characters through, it's a wonder that neither of them have actually cracked and gone completely insane. But that's the relationship they have, isn't it? They depend on each other to stay sane.

It's kind of weird to call Rob Thurman books sweet, but this one really was...you know, when they weren't hacking monster guts with katanas and explosive rounds. All in all, it was a fantastic story. I have Roadkill, the next book, and I'll be reading it soon.

So many books, so little time.

Cross-posted from NVP Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deathwish.

03/29/2010 page 12
03/29/2010 page 206
61.31% "OMG! Can I marry Cal, the lousy pizza sucking, dark SOB? Love him!"
show 1 hidden update…