Alicia's Reviews > Children of the Flames: Dr. Josef Mengele and the Untold Story of the Twins of Auschwitz

Children of the Flames by Lucette  Lagnado

Feb 24, 10

I've heard a lot about the twins of Mengele's experiements and seen a few documentaries, so I was interested to read this account of the twins of Auschwitz. While I enjoyed hearing more about Mengele and his life, I still didn't really get an "untold" story, just more bits and pieces of information that made you go "hmm, interesting".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Flames.

message 1: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Suzanne I hadn't even heard about the twins, although plenty about Mengele (he's always showing up in memoirs and documentaries). I'm interested now....thanks for sharing.

Alicia His experiementation on twins was his passion because he was adamant about finding the genes to build the perfect race and twins were a great way to test his theories. There's even a piece of the story that there was one boy, not a twin, who was so "perfectly Aryan" that he took him to conduct experiements on as well.

You'll find it horrifying, but not as gruesome as I anticipated (for reasons that will reveal themselves).