Sab H. (YA Bliss)'s Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: male-pov, light-realistic-epic, favorites, realistic-fiction
Read from January 21 to 23, 2011

I was expecting this to be good, obviously. But, wow, I was not expecting it to be THIS good. I have this weird obsession with a pair of movies that none of my friends like and I find fascinating. Before Sunrise and Before Sunset marked me in a way few movies have. Because I believe we've all been there, at least I have. In magical days of just hanging out with someone and being right where you want to be. One day that changes things. When lives come together and blur the lines between the past and the present. When truths inevitably come out stirring lives. Conversations and moments, silences and looks, just being next to someone and being... happy. And this book made it all come back, in book form, which made it feel even more perfect.

After being separated for three years, Adam and Mia have taken completely different paths. But seeing each other again and being together for one day, changes that. The story is told from Adam's pov, and turns out that Gayle Forman managed to do Adam's voice so amazingly well done, that I sort of forgot all my former empathy for Mia, and dove into Adam's mind, feeling his hurt and his attempts to hide them as if they were my own. It never felt forced, he never seemed weak or unlike himself. Her writing became to me so clearly Adam, that I still crave another book with his voice. He is an amazing narrator, plus he still kept his yummy hotness and multiplies it.

The writing, the plot, the events, the setting; everything worked perfectly to create one of the most beautifully romantic and utterly real books I've ever read. The emotions bloomed out of the pages. Depth is the word that describes it. The depth of the characters, the depth of the story, the depth of the feelings and interactions. Everything stirred up more feelings, more words than the ones that were written. I felt a whirlwind inside of me. And darn, that is something very hard to achieve in an avid reader. This book with its all-over depth and gut-wrenching emotional baggage, completely surpassed my love for If I Stay. This story ruined all other love stories for me. And ruined me.

These feelings, this book, this story... they will always haunt me. These feelings linger just like our own feelings. The tension was so palpable and the story was so memorable that I doubt I will ever read such a majestic book again. I have my hopes, though.

Given the fact that no matter what I say, it will never be enough nor will it ever do the book justice, I think YOU should read this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

01/23/2011 page 125
48.0% "Wow. Loving Adam's voice!"
01/23/2011 page 190
74.0% "Oh. My. God!!! I do NOT want this to end.."

Sarah you're always reading the books i can't wait for.

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) Ha! Its AWESOME so far :P

Sarah MAN! i can't wait to get my hands on it!

Jenn what happens?!?

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) They meet after 3 years! I wont spoil it.. ;)