Tess's Reviews > Momo

Momo by Michael Ende

Dec 11, 2010

bookshelves: children-s-books, fantasy, classics, favourites
Read in December, 2010

I've had this book lying around for quite a while, but I feel like I couldn't have picked it up to read at a more appopriate time in my life. I don't want to say much about the story itself, because there are summaries about Momo aplenty. I do, however, want to gush about how absolutely wonderful this book is. It didn't quite amaze me as the Neverending Story did, but it struck a chord within me that the other one didn't.

This is a book that is on the surface a lovely fantastic tale about a brave heroine who tries to save mankind and its time. This is also a book that, when read by adults, holds some various interesting messages. It is written simply, but it's not simple. It's about wasting and saving time, about how people lose all sense for quality of living because they try to get as much done as quickly as possible. It's not always a funny story - in fact, it has its rather gloomy and melancholy moments. And reading this and recognizing yourself in one of those adults can be ... frustrating. But it can also be a help to try and be different, to appreciate your time given.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Momo.

Quotes Tess Liked

Michael Ende
“People never seemed to notice that, by saving time, they were losing something else. No one cared to admit that life was becoming ever poorer, bleaker and more monotonous. The ones who felt this most keenly were the children, because no one had time for them any more. But time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart. And the more people saved, the less they had.”
Michael Ende, Momo