Abby's Reviews > Juliet, Naked

Mar 04, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: bookclub, fiction
Read from February 24 to March 04, 2010

I almost didn't finish this. The reason I dislike Nick Hornby's writing is the same reason I don't like movies like Knocked Up or The Hangover. The plots are ludicrous, the style hackneyed, the characters wooden and one-dimensional, the dialogue stilted, the info-dumps unbearable. Perhaps worst of all is the continuing celebration of all that is immature and emotionally stunted in men (and women) but for Hornby and Judd Apatow, it's all about the men. (I'm thinking some weird phallic obsession a la Walt Whitman perhaps ... an essay for another day.)

Briefly, Duncan and Annie have been together for 15 years when Duncan's musical obsession and passion, Tucker Crowe, releases his first new album in decades. Duncan loves it, Annie does not. The two views of the album eventually reveal all that is messy and painful and childish about both their lives as well as former rock star Tucker Crowe.

Commence ::headdesk-ing::

This is one of those books that make me glad I read romances. A good romance is (usually) based on messed up relationships and the struggles the hero and heroine go through to eventually make it work. Romance novels (modern, not Old Skool) identify and celebrate PARTNERSHIPS and the crap-ton of work, both internal and external that has to be accomplished by BOTH parties in order to get to the Happily Ever After. Often times, we see the scars where it hasn't worked out in the past.

But Duncan, Annie and Tucker all just careen along, depressingly oblivious to their own emotional f*ck-wittedness. Nothing learned. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.

It makes me wonder why bother to tell this story?

And it definitely makes me wonder why I even bothered to read it. (Oh right, bookclub. That'll be a fun meeting.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet, Naked.

Brian All men are immature and emotionally stunted. The ones that you think are not are just really good at faking it.

I don't know why people think that characters should change completely by the end of the novel just because of a few minor life events. Maybe I have seen too many European movies lately.