Melissa Hayden's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Feb 28, 2010

bookshelves: steampunk
Read from February 24 to 28, 2010

The story starts right out with a bit of history, written by Hale Qaurter, of what happened to the city of Seattle in 1863. Hale then tries to talk with Briar Wilkes, who will NOT share any part of her story with anyone - not even her own son. Briar not only lost her husband, but her father as well when the city was evacuated from the blight gas spreading. Both of these men play important parts in history and in the current. The blight gas is gas released from in the earth, thanks to the Boneshakers test run, which caused the living to turn into the undead. This story takes place sixteen years after ward, when the East coast is in a civil war and Washington wasn't even a state yet.

I loved the writting style in this book, because the story was constantly moving and you where always learning. There are many things for now and the history of the city learned in the book, and they were very easily noticed as seperate times. The current story along with the history was almost like two stories for me in one book. I loved the creativeness in the story line and idea.

I have to admit I am not a person who really wants to read of zombies. I don't know what it is about the decaying gray skinned dead humans trying to eat live human skin, but I just find them to turn my stomach. But the undead in this book are not the main characters or problems. And yes I said problem with an "s". There are a few troubles to get through as the book goes on.

I loved the characters from the start of the story. They are struggling to get by, and as many parents may experience no matter what year it is - the growing space between parent and child as they go through the teen years to become independant adults they are yet not quite ready for. The relationship between Briar and her son is a great tie in the book and accented very nicely with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.

02/24/2010 page 158