Melissa Hayden's Reviews > Inked

Feb 24, 10

bookshelves: anthology
Read in February, 2010

Skin Deep By Karen Chance

I really enjoyed the adventure of the mystery in following Lia in finding her boyfriend Cyrus. There is a connection between Lia and Cyrus she is not aware of until it appears for her. Lia, being a mage on light duty, has to find Cyrus - hiding in Tartarus the shifting underground Vegas - to see if he has a clue or... is he in trouble... since there are weres being killed at the very moment of changing - for their skins. Who ever is doing this has to be good, fore the change is instantaneous.

There is some romance in this story as well.
Armor of Roses By Marjorie M. Liu

This is the story in which I purchased the book for, as I have been following the series and figured this would be a great addition to it. I do feel, if you have not read the series you will be caught up with the major highlights of Maxine and other major characters along with getting into a new story in ten pages.

I felt I got a new respect for Maxine as she is a hardass, but with a soft heart. Maxine gets to spend time with a younger version of her Grandmother, whom she never met except on special jumps through time, trying to get information from her Grandmother during the World War in Japan. I felt so drawn into this story that I could smell the many scents of the city - food, drink, and filth from garbage and feces.
Etched in Silver By Yasmine Galenorn

This story for some reason was the only one I had a little bit of work to get into. At first I thought it may be Camille the main character, but then I grew to like her by the end of the story. Camille seemed to be a little annoying to me. I am not sure how to really explain it.

Camille and her two sisters live in the Underworld with their father. They are half witches with powers that seem to be a little on the uncontrolable side. They work for an agency that sends them on missions no one else wants or missions expecting the sisters to fail to hold it over them. Camille is on a mission to find an ex-agent who is on a raping, killing spree. Camille comes across a dark stranger who helps her out with more than just her mission.

I really enjoyed the world Karen created in this story. If only for that reason I have added Karens books to my list to read. I love the atmosphere here and the magic present. The sisters being not perfect are an added touch to the story.

There is some steamy tension and sex included in this story.
Human Nature By Eileen Wilks

I have to admit this was my second favorite story in this book. I really enjoyed reading Eileens story of Lily and Rule. Rule, being a were, receives a call that an old friend of his had died. Well, was murdered, with a tattoo around his neck then his throat cut. Rule being the were he is, is learning how to share with Lily his feelings - yet he wants his FBI Agent girlfriend to head up the investigation. Lily has to find that magic was used in the murder in order to be able to take over the investigation.

I like how the details are given for the explanation of what and why things are happening. There is also different possibilities that could be followed. I really enjoy the mystery with the urban fantasy mix.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inked.