Kathryn's Reviews > My Garden

My Garden by Kevin Henkes

Feb 24, 2010

bookshelves: home-and-garden, childrens-picture-books, spring-easter
Read in April, 2011

I didn't know anything about the book and was surprised to discover it is not so much about actual gardening (though there is a real garden the mom and daughter plant) as imaginative gardening as the little girl dreams of having a garden with no weeds or dead plants, and wants to plant seashells (to grow seashells, of course!) and jellybeans to grow candy plants. And there would be no carrots, because she does not like them ;-) Overall, I appreciated the imaginative approach, though I do love real rabbits more than chocolate ones! (You'll see if you read this.)

I love Kevin Henkes, especially his "mouse books" (i.e., Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse) and was so excited when my library finally got a copy of this book. Fittingly enough, it came a few days after we did some planting in our own yard and I read this outside on a very pleasant afternoon :-) I'm not sure this is one of my favorite Henkes titles (it just lacks that extra depth of the mouse books, IMO, and I am not as big a fan of the illustrations style here) but it's definitely worth exploring especially if you have an imaginative little one interested in gardening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Garden.

03/01 marked as: read

Lisa Vegan Another one?!!! Yep, onto the list. I love Henkes.

Kathryn Chandra wrote: "Oh this sounds sweet. Reminds me of a bit of a pickle I've gotten myself into. When we were in Hawaii 2 summers ago Izzy spilt her bag of popcorn on the beach and was fairly devastated. To make ..."

Oh, gosh! That is a tough one!!! Well, if you want to keep the "magic" going you could always say something about how since the popcorn tree isn't native to Hawaiian beaches people probably had to move it somewhere else so it would grow better? Or, you could get really creative and say something about how the Menehune must have come to transplant the popcorn tree to their own hidden kingdom because of how much they love popcorn! ;-) Really, just some wild ideas I'm tossing out there. I do hope she will be fine with the whole thing whatever you decide to tell her (or not). It's very sweet and wonderful that she is still so innocent and believing about these things (unicorns, YAY!) Children seem to lose that faster and faster these days. Tyler heard a terrible statistic the other day: in the 1980s (forget the exact year) the top show among children aged 8-10 was "Care Bears" Today, it is "America's Next Top Model" and "Desperate Housewives" Heaven help us!!!

Lisa Vegan Chandra, The popcorn, we guess, couldn't take root in the sand, so off it went with the breeze into the ocean, and the wildlife got to eat it. And, you'll buy her another bag of popcorn this year to make up for it??? I love that Izzy is still standing by her unicorns. Only disappointed at the lack of decently good unicorn books for her.

Lisa Vegan Heaven help us all, indeed, if true. I'd have thought American Idol or different reality tv, and if watched as a family, there are worse vices.

message 5: by Kathryn (last edited Apr 07, 2011 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Heaven help us all, indeed, if true. I'd have thought American Idol or different reality tv, and if watched as a family, there are worse vices."

Yes, at least "AI" is pretty good for the family. It's sad, we were talking and don't think there are any family sitcoms/shows on network TV these days? I remember so many growing up, like "Cosby Show" (still one of my favorites!) and "Wonder Years" (for older kids). Even "Home Improvement" though I never liked that one as much. And for my parents there was "Leave it to Beaver" etc. and even though "I Love Lucy" didn't feature kids it was at least good and funny humor for the whole family. I guess there are some shows for kids on cable TV, like "Wizards of Waverly Place" but I don't know that they are exactly shows the whole family would want to watch. Sad!

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Apr 07, 2011 02:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan I loved the Cosby Show, and many other family friendly shows. Family Ties, I guess for older kids, I adored. But anything with Michael J. Fox can't be bad, in my opinion, and Growing Pains. So many. For younger kids there have never been as many sit coms.

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "I loved the Cosby Show, and many other family friendly shows. Family Ties, I guess for older kids, I adored. But anything with Michael J. Fox can't be bad, in my opinion, and Growing..."

Oh, you named two other great ones! That's one fun thing about Netflix, getting to watch some of these old shows again! ;-)

Lisa Vegan Yes, I love DVDs. I have a friend who uses Netflix MOSTLY to watch tv shows she missed the first time around. Rarely uses it to watch movies. ;-)