Erin Ashley's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: magic, re-reading, childhood, favorites
Read from June 12 to July 10, 2011

So I finished this book again a couple of days ago and I am finally going to give it the proper review it deserves.

I was there on the day it was released, I waited in line at 9am with my mum and we all counted down until the embargoed boxes could be opened for the last time. When I got my book I also asked for an empty box too, just like I did with the Half Blood Prince release. I still have those two boxes sitting in my closet in my room. When I got home all I did was head up to my room and spent the next two days engulfed in all its glory. So many emotions hit.

This book to me signified everything that Harry and his friends and family have gone through for the entire series and beyond. I knew it was going to be dark, I knew there was going to be deaths and as much as I wanted to say that I was prepared, I wasn't for some of those deaths. From the beginning all hell broke loose and J.K had me hooked. That woman knows how to pull at your heart strings, make your pulse race and stop it all together. I love that there was so much mystery in this book, everything that Harry, Ron and Hermione were trying to figure out and discover, we were trying to do the same thing also, hoping that we could help them in some small way. Well, thats how I felt at least. When they had to leave to go on their Horcrux hunt I was ready to see everything they were about to go through. I loved how brave they were when having to sneak into the Ministry of Magic and steal the locket from Umbridge, it was amazing just how much bravery they possessed between them. Even more so when they ventured into Bellatrix Lestranges Gringotts vault, that took pure nerve and cunning, even while trusting a decietful goblin.

The relationships in this book finally fully blossomed into something marvellous. Ron and Hermione were always going to be together and Harry was always going to run back to Ginny. Even people such as Lupin and Tonks found love together, even if it was taken away from them too soon. I'm also glad that we got to have a glimpse into the future for our favourites and see just what became of them.

Figuring out that the Deathly Hallows was real was probably one of my most favourite parts of this book. It showed just how much Harry had grown by how he resisted the Elder wand, used the Resurection Stone for reassurance, not selfish needs and knew that by using his cloak he could always hide from death and only choose to greet it on his own terms. This was all pure brilliance on J.K Rowlings part, I don't believe that anyone else could have come up with something this clever.

The final battle was epic, and I crave to see it on the big screen for the last time, but when I first imagined it in my head it was always an epic battle. What really hit home was all the people who died trying to do good.

I honestly don't know how much I cried while reading this book, I know that this time re-reading it I cried much more than a few times, but they were a mixture of happy and sad tears, tears that couldn't be helped. This series has been my childhood for the past 10 years. It's sad that it is going to be ending with this last movie, even though I know that the adventure is only 7 books away. This series is one of those ones that you just can't help but fall in love with, they inspire hope, a way to escape and a chance to truly learn what love is. I will always recommend these books to anyone and everyone, young and old alike will fall for this brilliant series. Even though it may be ending, it will never be over for me and for millions alike.
1 like · likeflag