Amanda's Reviews > Kitty Takes a Holiday

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

Feb 24, 2010

Read from March 02 to 08, 2010 — I own a copy

4 1/2 Stars

Well the books are getting better and this one is definitely the best so far. It moves away from the radio show, taking Kitty out to a seemingly dull place but we all know that doesn't make for an interesting read. Carrie builds the plot nicely, introducing the key characters in their own time. While things are happening you aren't really sure what it is or who the bad guys are allowing the reader to come to their own assumptions. The bam! another plotline is introduced. One I never saw coming (I don't read the back of the books when it's part of a series unless it's book 1). The story twists and turns without leaving you behind. Every time I had to put the book down, when I picked it up again I wished I hadn't stopped reading. There was always something just around the corner.

Parts of it are pretty gory, making my stomach clench while reading it. There is a lot of relationship building involved between Kitty, Ben and Cormac. We get to learn a lot about their history and what has made Cormac a hired killer and Ben a lawyer. Ben becomes even more of a staple in Kitty's life. If you're looking for a happy ending with this one then you aren't really going to get it. There is a silver lining though. Out of all the covers so far (the first 7 books) this one is my favourite as it shows Kitty in a different stance looking like she's about to pounce and not just some cover model.

I'm very interested in reading what happens in the next instalment, Kitty and the Silver Bullet but I'm not sure if I'll read it next as a have a few new releases that I'd love to review. This is a great book and a great series. I'd recommend it to lovers of urban fantasy and I'd say that they'll probably be reading the series already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Takes a Holiday.