Sharon's Reviews > Dying to Meet You

Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, humor, cpl-best-of-the-best
Read in February, 2010

This brief but wonderful epistolary novel earns my dubious honor "higher rating because it's so much better than I expected" rating. Told through found documents and letters, this is mostly the story of I.B. Grumply, a writer trying to finish the 13th installment in his Ghost Tamer series after a 20-year period of writer's block; 43 Old Cemetery Road, the haunted mansion where he stays to write it; and Seymour Hope, abandoned child, his cat Shadow, and the ghost Olive B. Spence, failed novelist, who haunts 43 Old Cemetery Road. Through their correspondence to each other, newspaper updates from the town of Ghastly, Illinois, and other found records, their stories are all revealed and come together in a way that is amusing while also managing to be strangely touching and revealing, for a little book of such brevity. The pun-ny names, wordplay, drawings, and format are so on-target and kid-friendly; I would have loved the crap out of this as a nerdy kid, and the nerdy kid inside me still loves it today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying to Meet You.