Sylvie's Reviews > Don Quixote

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Feb 23, 2010

bookshelves: classics
Read in August, 2010

I have mixed emotions about this book. I hated the First Part (it was extremely repetitive, a slog to get through, and the stupidity, my god, the stupidity—I just wanted to slap both Don Quixote and Sancho), but I loved the Second Part. It is really incredible how far ahead of its time this novel is, especially regarding questions of authorship. It remains very modern and I totally see why it is one of the greatest novels ever. I can’t imagine trying to read it again in the near future, but there is so much here that it definitely merits repeated visits. If you want to get a taste, I highly recommend the section on what to skip in Beowulf on the Beach, or just read the First Part until you get tired of it, skip to Chapter LII, and then go straight on to the Second Part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don Quixote.

Quotes Sylvie Liked

Miguel de Cervantes
“It is one thing to write as poet and another to write as a historian: the poet can recount or sing about things not as they were, but as they should have been, and the historian must write about them not as they should have been, but as they were, without adding or subtracting anything from the truth.”
Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

Miguel de Cervantes
“Translating from one language to another, unless it is from Greek and Latin, the queens of all languages, is like looking at Flemish tapestries from the wrong side, for although the figures are visible, they are covered by threads that obscure them, and cannot be seen with the smoothness and color of the right side.”
Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote