Alla's Reviews > Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure

Autism's False Prophets by Paul A. Offit

Mar 06, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from February 23 to March 06, 2010

So very refreshing to read somebody with common sense on the issue of vaccination, without any conspiracy theories or unscientific nonsense. To be clear though, this book is not about the safety of vaccines in general. It is about the purported link between thimerosal in vaccines and autism, which at this point has been dis-proven.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autism's False Prophets.

message 1: by rachel (new)

rachel this sounds good - i'm in the group of people that thinks it's insane when parents blame immunizations on autism. . . i think they just desperately want to have a reason why it happened, and sometimes things just happen for no reason at all.

Alla I don't know.. it has to be hard when you have a perfectly normal 18 months old who is saying occasional words here and there, and developing well, and then you give them a shot and days later they regress. I understand it is soooo difficult to establish causality though. So I am reading this because I vowed to equally represent both points of view in my reading list before I make a final decision.

message 3: by rachel (new)

rachel i didn't know that that is what some parents experience - i always thought it was something that happened later on. . . like they got the shots and then a few years later they notice something is really really wrong. this stuff is just really hard to deal with. i'm guessing that what happens is that some kids are just more prone to autism and the immunizations push them over the edge? or is that stupid? i mean, not everyone who gets the usual immunizations has autism, so it isn't something so cut and dry. . . i could probably go back and forth on this all day.