Sarah's Reviews > We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Nov 10, 11

I listened to the audio, which was well-produced. The actor's voice was easy to listen to and she did a good job with varying her voices for the different characters. I felt like she captured the cadence that Jackson intended when she wrote.

So this was the first book I picked for the SSBC. Unfortunately, I feel I struck out a bit because Matt found it lacking. Maybe we'll go back to him picking what we read.

One of the things I liked the most in the book was Merricat's use of sympathetic magic. Sympathetic (or imitative) magic makes me thing of OCD. It's a slightly comforting set of routines, of talismans, etc, to protect herself from teh outside world.

What I wished the story has was one last twist. I kept expecting some last revelation that would end the story on a different note. It wasn't a bad ending, just anticlimactic after the tone and pace of the story up to that point.

I plan to read the book, now that I have listened to it in order to see how the cadence feels compared to how it sounds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Piechocinski Nonsense. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I pick winner books. In fact, seeing as how many authors I do enjoy list Jackson as an influence, I went in with pretty high expectations. When those expectations don't get met, I get super pissed. Now, it's not that I thought the book was bad, I just wish there was more resolution ... like I really wish Merrikat went total sociopath, but maybe, ultimately, she just wanted to be left alone. I dunno ...

I thought the Lottery was much more compelling.