Liza H's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Aug 09, 07

bookshelves: done
Read in July, 2007

I admit this is a re-read, as I have of course read this book before, when it first came out in 2005. I haven't read it since, however, and the way my brain retains information (ie: it doesn't) it was almost like reading it for the first time. Which is why I'm counting it here.

I'm one of the many who have been following Harry in his adventures with much interest and glee, and this book held as much magic for me as all of the previous ones. I'm especially thrilled with how much these books have "grown up" along with the characters (and, presumably, most of the readers). I know a lot of people didn't like how Harry fell for Ginny, but I didn't mind it. And the insights into Tom Riddle's life was very interesting; while Voldemort will always be the stereotypical bad guy, it was great to know how and why he is the way he is. I also got a kick out of Slughorn, and one of my favorite scenes is at the Christmas party when Slughorn has his arm around Snape, talking about his "star pupil". Snape continues to be extremely interesting too - and the fact that he IS the Half-Blood Prince that Harry (and Ron!) have been "worshipping" via his old textbook speaks volumes as well (ha, I punned). I've always been a Snape-lover, and when he killed Dumbledore I was surprised (at least, I was the first time I read the book!) but I very quickly came to the conclusion that this was planned between him and Dumbledore; that Dumbledore's pleading "Severus, please" was not for his life, but for his death. Because of his withered arm and weakness from the potion he'd drunk, I'm also very convinced that Dumbledore was probably dying anyway.

It was good to give this book a very close re-read, since the final book came out, and that review follows...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.