Sarai's Reviews > Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: children-s-picture-books
Read in February, 2009

Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel Mary Anne dig big holes. But then gasoline and electric and diesel shovels come along and Mike and Mary Anne can't find work. They go to a small town and promise to dig the basement of the new town hall in one day or it will be free. Unfortunately, when they are done digging, they realize they have not created a way for themselves to get out of the hole. Then an enterprising young boy suggests they build town hall around Mike and Mary Anne; Mike can be the new janitor and Mary Anne can heat the building. Everyone agrees and Mike and Mary Anne get to stay.

I checked this out because one day when I was shelving, and the shelves were in desperate need of being weeded, I noticed there were a ton of these on the shelf (and the ones I had would not fit). The art looked old-fashioned, so I figured it was a story which had been around for a long time (in fact, it was published in 1939). A book with that kind of lasting appeal is one I have to read. :) I liked the art and the story.

This book is recommended for ages 4-8, or preschool through Grade 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.