J-Lynn's Reviews > Love, Stargirl

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Jul 13, 08

bookshelves: young-adult-and-adolescent-lit, realistic-or-urban-kid-and-ya-lit, nyra-2010-books
Recommended for: Fans of Jerry Spinelli and Stargirl
Read in December, 2007

I was already worried about the premise of this book when I started reading it. What I loved about the original Stargirl is the mystery behind the exuberant, eccentric stranger who comes into Leo's life and turns everything upside down. The first book is about not conforming to expectations, being true to yourself, putting other people first, and learning to see beyond yourself. Archie even explains that star people are not meant to be understood by the rest of us.

So, why would I want to read a book from Stargirl's perspective? When I first started Love, Stargirl I was disappointed to read that she was a normal teenage girl who was pining over Leo, humiliated by his betrayal at the school dance, and barely noticing all of the unique people around her. But, I kept reading and as Stargirl started to find herself again (with an assist by the loveable Archie) I started to love her again. I suppose even star people need a break to collect themselves every once in a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Stargirl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Evan This is actually why I liked the book. The fact that it was written from her point of view. I re-read Stargirl write before this and to tell you the truth I am not much of a fan of a character telling a story about another character. It was Leo's perspective not the actuality of Stargirl. I like how this one humanizes her more. Less other, less weird, more human. She is still fantastic. I also loved the supporting cast of characters. Easy read. Not great writing or anything but I was engaged enough.

J-Lynn Interesting. I think the fact that she was humanized made me sad. I like to think that there are fantastical people among us.

Lala Sanchez I loved the first one so much, don't get me wrong I loved the second one too but I was a little disappointed because Stargirl isn't quite the same as the first one. Does someone get what I mean?

Olivia I totally agree with the part about the mystery in Stargirl making it special ;)