Gill's Reviews > Cast Two Shadows: The American Revolution in the South

2208255
Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: georgia, other-times, other-places
Read from April 02 to 05, 2010, read count: one

Well, not strictly Georgia, the Carolinas, but 'in the region'. I read this as part of my reading to understand a bit about the area where my son and family are living. I've read modern Georgian authors, and Ferrol Sams about the turn of the 20th century, Gone with the wind about the civil war, so I guess this one is my earliest historical foray in the Americas.
But for a dip into the journal of someone who lived through the American War of Independance, this one was the nearest I have got to the truth of the times. The author did not avoid the unsavory truths of what happens in war, and how families are torn apart and suspicion makes people act out of character.
There were issues brought to light which are often sidestepped or avoided in dealing with history and national sensitivities and I found it a good read, and informative.
Someone has mentioned enjoying the author's note and I am glad she informed us of how closely she stuck to the historical truth, and her attempt to portray the events through the eyes of one young girl approaching womanhood, growing up fast and dealing with the world as it was and as it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast Two Shadows.

04/02/2010 page 28
9.21% "Whoo, and this one has you jumping straight in to the thick of the story!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »