Ella's Reviews > The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: loaned, find-me, own-more-than-1, ellalib-old
Recommended for: everyone, esp those in the western world
I own a copy, read count: 5

Read a bunch of current "literary fiction" then read this. Just do it, as an experiment. If you don't weep for the state of the American Novel, I will weep for you.

This is the most heart-breakingly human novel... maybe ever.

I was discussing "the quintessential American novel" earlier today with a lovely smart young man who hadn't read this book, I learned after about a half hour. I stopped the discussion and said, "Well, unless we're not counting the South as part of America, we can't have this discussion until you've read this book." I then went in search of one of my three copies and stuffed it into his hands.

I want to read it again right now, cancel everything I have to do in the next few hours, put on PJs, make hot cocoa & reread this, but he has the only copy I can find at the moment, so I'll be a big girl.

Most heart-breakingly human novel? Yeah, in a way, yeah. It is entirely self-aware without being the least bit precocious or precious or prescient or even aware of that awareness. This novel knows things that many people live their entire lives without knowing. It ought to be required reading for every single US citizen. Not because I want to educate anyone -- just because it's that good. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'd tell you something about the book, but I want everyone on earth to read it, so I'm not gonna. Find out for yourself.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.