Fred's Reviews > In a Sunburned Country

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010-read, australia, travel
Read in January, 2010

In A Sunburned Country is another great piece of travel non-fiction by Bill Bryson. I'd previously read "A Walk in the Woods" which I think is one of the greatest travel/adventure books I've read. I've also read "Notes From A Small Island" which was a bit disappointing in comparison to the greatness of "Woods" Sunburned Country is all about Australia. It's a fantastic book full of wit and wisdom. One of the things which Bryson does quite well is insert odd facts and history about the place he's visiting. The Australia Prime Minister, for example, walked into the surf and disappeared. Bryson also inserts facts about the deadliest animals in Australia. Besides the crocodile, there are poisonous snakes, fish, spiders and of course the box jellyfish. When I read this book about Bryson's travels in Australia, it reminded me how similar the country is to Canada. I would greatly like to see a book in the future with Bryson's sarcastic wit about travelling in Ottawa, as well as the rest of Canada. We too have an arbitrary capital which was chosen so it wouldn't upset two differing cities/provinces. Great book. Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Sunburned Country.