Anne's Reviews > Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbinders in Suspense

Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbinders in Suspense by Alfred Hitchcock

Nov 14, 2007

Oh My God. Look at what's in here.

"The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell
"The Birds" by Daphne du Maurier
"Man From The South" by Roald Dahl
"Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper" by Robert Bloch

Holy sh*t, has anyone ever put that many classic stories in one place? You need to read this! Oh... are some of those unfamiliar? Let me prompt you.

The most Dangerous game had me and my friend Richard digging a Burmese tiger pit in the lot next door and lining it with sharpened sticks. If that's not a good way to occupy a 10 year old, I don't know what is.

Remember the scene from the Quintan Teratino film "Four Rooms" where they strap the guy's hand down and take bets on chopping his pinkie with a cleaver? Obviously, you need to have read this story to be a fully functioning member of Western society.

Did you KNOW the birds was written by the same woman who wrote Rebbecca? WELL DID YOU?

Robert Bloch Robert Bloch Robert Bloch. Don't you trust the man who brought you Psycho? Of course you do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbinders in Suspense.

message 1: by Frederick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Frederick I'm glad I looked this book up on Goodreads. This was a favorite of mine when I was ten or so, too.
The illustrations were great. Also, Hitchcock has a cameo on each cover of this entire series (at least as it was issued in the sixties.)
Robert Bloch never disappoints. This was the book that showed me Roald Dahl was not only the author of the children's books I found so hilarious, but a master of the macabre.
You can find a number of the stories which appear in these old Hitchcock anthologies re-anthologized today. They're on the Bargain shelves at Barnes and Noble, with Hitch's silhouette on the cover.
But SPELLBINDERS IN SUSPENSE and the others under Hitchcock's name were unusually sophisticated books. I wish they'd bring them back.