Kerfe's Reviews > The Lost Art of Walking

412055
Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: essays
Read in February, 2010

I'm a person who gets sudden solutions in the shower, but walking can produce the same absorption in physical sensation, the mindlessness, that allows for openings in the well-worn channels of thought.

Geoff Nicholson enjoys walking, and uses it to focus his thoughts and solve problems even before he realizes that walking also keeps him from lethargy and depression. He is interested in why and where and how others walk.

This entertaining and informative tour covers walkers famous and infamous, eccentric, strange, and ordinary. Walks competitive, musical, photographic, exploratory, spiritual, psychological, serious and fun. Country walks, city walks, desert walks and moon walks. Imaginary walks. Those taken and not taken.

Nicholson meanders extensively in the places he has lived: London, L.A., New York. He tries group walking, organized walking, theme walking, solitary and accidental walking, even psychogeographical walking.

It's a pleasure to accompany him.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Art of Walking.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina Love this review and I totally agree. You should read Jonathan Ferris' The Unnamed: about a guy who has a mysterious disease that causes him to walk to the point of exhaustion...I started it as a sample on Kindle and it seemed pretty good.

Kerfe I have the unnamed on my radar