kingshearte's Reviews > The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm

The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm

Mar 15, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, fiction
Read from February 23 to March 15, 2010 — I own a copy

Having very much enjoyed reading the complete works (I think) of Hans Christian Andersen, the other major source for many of our common fairy tales, I thought I should tackle the Brothers Grimm as well.

They're not really as enjoyable as a complete set, largely just because of the nature of the stories and how they were collected. The Brothers Grimm didn't actually write the stories, and the book isn't really meant to be read cover to cover, I'd say. Because the stories all come from folklore, there are a lot of similarities and repeated themes. Sometimes it's one or two elements you've seen in an earlier story, sometimes the whole premise is the same as another story, but some of the details are different, and sometimes it's kind of an odd mishmash of, say, a dozen elements from a dozen stories, recombined into a thirteenth. Ultimately, it just starts to feel very repetitive, which is why I took several breaks during the reading of this book, to read other things, and cleanse the reading palate a bit, so to speak.

I don't really have a lot to say about the writing style, or even story elements, since there are so many; I'll leave analysis to the folklorists. But I've read it now, and I think it was worthwhile, so there it is.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm.

02/23/2010 page 20
02/25/2010 page 186
24.41% "Taking a break. This book isn't really meant to be read cover-to-cover, I don't think. I'll get back to it in a day or so."
show 7 hidden updates…