Danielle's Reviews > Animal Farm

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: fiction, classics-recommended-reading
Read in February, 2010

I feel a little vindicated after reading this book that even though I may not have read a classic, I'm still familiar enough with it to judge it fairly. This book was exactly what I thought it was going to be. Which means I'm also right about what Lord of Flies is going to be, even though I haven't read it, right?
I seriously read this because it seems like you can't consider yourself a well-read person unless you have. Oh, and because it's super short.
But, as it turns out, it was an enjoyable read, and not nearly as depressing as I was expecting. I think Orwell is a fabulous writer, and the fact that this book is so didactic, yet still fun to read, is proof of that.
That being said, you would have to be a truly obtuse 10th grader to read this book and be unsure of The Point. It felt about as heavy-handed as The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in its message. Unlike 1984 that had its own story going on within the larger context of 'The Message', this one was purely an extended metaphor for the flaws of Communism (to wit: power corrupts). I'm not sure how I felt about the ending. It almost felt unnecessary [spoiler!:] for the pigs to change into humans in appearance.
My favorite part of this book was Benjamin, the laconic donkey, who (in my opinion) was the only winner. Don't build up any expectations, and you can't be disappointed. Masters may change, along with the rhetoric of their subjugation, but it all amounts to the same thing. Wise old Benjamin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Farm.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Craig Nice review, Danielle! As usual.

Goran Benjamin was my favorite too, along with the lazy cat :)

Goran On second thought, Mollie was the one who never gave in to the utopic ideals of the first regime and the repressions of the second one. Although the book is centered around critique of the second "stalinistic" regime, the first one, albeit more "animalistic", did preach hate towards some of the living creatures (those on two legs) and was just as bad as any of the other forms of government presented in the book. Mollie was vain and self-centered, but she managed to escape the brainwashing propaganda and go back where she was appreciated - as the favorite animal of someone, wearing a beautiful ribbon.