Trin's Reviews > An Angel for Emily

May 13, 2016

did not like it
bookshelves: angels, romance, american-lit, 1990s
Read in March, 2010

This is the book that I (not-so-)famously threw at the wall, as described here. Though, in fairness, that was really a matter of proximity more than especial malice. Don’t get me wrong: this book is bad. But it’s sort of forgettably bad—to the point where I have, for the most part, forgotten it. All that’s left is a vague memory of badness, lingering on the (otherwise spotless!) walls of my mind like soap scum.

I think it was mostly typical bad romance novel badness: ooky gender stuff (actual line: "'Emily!' Michael said through clenched teeth. 'This is no time to play your female games.'"), dull and at times incomprehensible plot, characters who are too dumb to live. I read it because it’s about an angel and a human who fall in lurv, and at the time I was still rocking that narrative kink like whoa, but this book utterly failed to satisfy it. Emily is dumb as a chipped brick and Michael is really, really boring for an angel; to top off this dull cake with some disinterested frosting, their happy ending consists of him turning human but without either of them remembering that he was ever anything else. Oh, and Emily also has a ridiculously over-the-top evil politician fiancé to get in the happy couple’s way at strategically relevant points. And there are ghosts, or something. I swear, even full-length and (apparently) fully-realized, this book made no more sense than this summary.

So I think I’ll just proceed to forget its contents the rest of the way—Deveraux does appear to consider that a happy ending, after all. From now on, it will simply be known as The Book I Threw at a Wall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Angel for Emily.

02/22 page 126
40.91% "Don't judge me. It's all Misha Collins' fault."
03/09 page 250
81.17% ""'Emily!' Michael said through clenched teeth. 'This is no time to play your female games.'" And now I hate EVERYONE in this book. Nice."
04/23 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Writerlibrarian Just *grin*. I wish I could throw all of Deveraux's books from the library out the window. So your review made me smile since I can not throw them out the window. *sigh*

message 2: by Trin (new) - rated it 1 star

Trin Yeah, I glanced at one of the time travel ones, and holy crap, was it bad. And yet how many books has this lady had published? 14,000?

Writerlibrarian She's published a lot of I rape you you fall in love with me trope. I just wish I could just throw them all out of the library. Or at least put a big sticker on them like warning on fanfic. Her and Woodiwiss are two of the writers I am unable to suggest to patrons. Just no.