Leeanna's Reviews > Book Of War

Feb 22, 10

bookshelves: i-own
Read in February, 2010

Diadem #7: Book of War, by John Peel

In "Book of War," it's Helaine's turn to return to her home planet of Ordin. After having escaped an arranged marriage on a Medieval Ages era world, Helaine Votrin suffered from the guilt of abandoning her family and her duty. Score and Pixel accompany her back home, and naturally the three pop into a dangerous situation: Votrin castle is under siege; war is imminent.

Feeling even guiltier now for leaving, Helaine is determined to do what she can to resolve the situation. She and Score set off on her secret plan, while Pixel attempts to solve a 500-year-old mystery.

For the first time in the Diadem series, Peel introduces a new main character, Jenna, a peasant hedge-witch. She is revealed to be another magician with powers matching that of Score, Helaine, and Pixel, and now the trio becomes a quartet.

For me, "Book of War" is one of the weaker books in the Diadem series. I didn't particularly like the addition of a new main character, nor the more prominent romance, but after I read the next book in the series I understood why she was brought in. So if you're like me and didn't like Jenna at first, it gets better, so hang in there.

3/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book Of War.