Cathy 's Reviews > Dark and Stormy Knights

Dark and Stormy Knights by P.N. Elrod

Overall, the best anthology I've read. I read every story except for one and enjoyed all to a greater or lesser degree. Kudos to Elrod for choosing authors who write short stories well (a tricky job) and good stories.

For those who are interested in more details:

I enjoyed the Ilona Andrews story very much. It was a prequel to their Kate Daniels series (the series is actually written by husband and wife team Gordon and Ilona). I finally know why Kate gets reduced rates from Saimon! I can't tell if non-series readers will enjoy it as much, but I suspect it will go over well. I also enjoyed the Slavic mythology; I always learn something with every Andrews story.

Jim Butcher's story was based on John Marcone and some of his associates, all supporting characters in his Dresden series. There was a lot of action. I enjoyed getting some interesting tidbits about Hendricks. I'm not sure if people who haven't read the series will appreciate the details, but the action should have universal appeal. Butcher is one of the best in the genre at writing short stories.

Shannon Butcher's story grabbed me right away and never let go. But the end didn't make sense. Can't say more without giving a spoiler.

Rachel Caine's story was good, an original take on the classic theme of the dragon slayer. I wish she wrote urban fantasy for adults, I didn't love the first 2 of her YA books and am not interested in the Weather Warden series. Should I be? I'm open to peer pressure.

Elrod's story was good. A bit melodramatic and with too much internalized ramblings, but great style. And the anthology strategy worked again; I didn't love Elrod's 1st Vampire Files book, but I liked the short story enough to reserve a book from another of her series to try.

If you like paranormal romance, D. Knight's seem good. The story was OK.

Pettersson's story was the only one I didn't finish. I just don't care for this series (Zodiac) at all.

I liked Lilith Saintcrow's story more than I expected to after abandoning The Demon's Librarian half-way through. I checked out some of her other books here, but the reviews aren't encouraging. Am I missing something great?

And finally, an OK story about Cormac, a supporting character in Carrie Vaughn's Kitty the werewolf series. I'm glad it was a werewolf story; it's strange how much I've disliked her non-Kitty books, they feel distanced and disjointed to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark and Stormy Knights.

08/22/2010 page 2
1.0% "A Kate Daniels story, first up! I feel better now." 5 comments
08/23/2010 page 45
12.0% "I enjoyed the Ilona Andrews story very much. I finally know why Kate gets reduced rates from Saimon! Can't tell if non-series readers will enjoy it as much, but I suspect it will go over well. Also enjoyed the Slavic mythology; I always learn something with every Andrews story."
08/23/2010 page 80
21.0% "A fun story by Jim Butcher about John Marcone and company. Lots of action. Some interesting tidbits about Hendricks. Again, not sure if people who haven't read the series will appreciate the details, but the action should have universal appeal."
08/23/2010 page 119
31.0% "Shannon Butcher's story grabbed me right away and never let go. But the end didn't make sense." 3 comments
08/23/2010 page 155
40.0% "Rachel Caine's story was good, am original take on the old classic theme of the dragon slayer. I wish she wrote urban fantasy for adults, I didn't love the first 2 of her YA books and am not interested in the Weather Warden series. Should I be? I'm open to peer pressure." 1 comment
08/24/2010 page 166
43.0% "Anthology in action again: didn't love Elrod's 1st Vampire Files book, but I'm liking the short story (great '30s gumshoe style). So I reserved a book from another of her series to try."
08/24/2010 page 203
53.0% "Elrod's story was good. A bit melodramatic and too much internalized ramblings, but great style."
08/25/2010 page 244
64.0% "If you like paranormal romance, D. Knights seem good."
08/25/2010 page 283
74.0% "Tried the Pettersson story but didn't finish. Just don't care for the her."
08/25/2010 page 324
84.0% "I liked Lilith Saintcrow's story more than I expected to after abandoning The Demon's Librarian half-way through. Checked out some of her other books here, but the reviews aren't encouraging."
08/25/2010 page 325
85.0% "Cormac! (Carrie Vaughn)"
08/25/2010 page 357
93.0% "OK Cormac story by Carrie Vaughn. Glad it was a wwrewolf story; strange how much I've disliked her non-Kitty books."