Ernest Junius's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

Feb 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: shallow-reads, relaxing-reads, books-that-took-overnight-to-finish
Read on February 21, 2010 , read count: 1

To comply with my decision when I finished reading The Lightning Thief I wasn’t supposed to read The Sea of Monsters. However, the book was there. Alone on the table. It was a downpour outside—with occasional thunderbolts. It was Sunday, and I had nothing to do. So I heaved a sigh, sipped my steaming mint brew, open the book and started reading it. I am damn glad I did.

The Sea of Monsters is B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T and by any chance totally outdoes its predecessor: The Lightning Thief. It’s packed with awesome sea adventure (it matters, I’m fascinated with thrilling sea actions), more wisecracks, pina coladas and furious chariot races. It even mentions something Canadian (Canadian jest of course—which made me crack). And last but not least, it’s getting less and less American.
So this is the case of an ugly duckling turning into a flame-breathing flying unicorn. I was impressed by how the story has changed from Harry-Potter-ish to something of a totally the opposite. The appearance of the young Cyclops, Tyson has certainly brought more colours to the story—so no more the spunk, the whiz and the jest. It becomes something else of a better combination.

But I couldn’t help noticing some curious parts of the story, such as when the CSS Birmingham blown to pieces, it’s strange to me, that Annabeth and Percy who were chatting while floating in the sea on flotsams didn’t even mention or wonder of the whereabouts of their friend, Clarisse (which was of course in the ship with them when it blew). And when somebody said “An herbal wrap to start for the young lady.” I wasn’t so sure whether it was a gaffe or a joke that I didn’t catch.

Anyway, the book gets away with it. There are more good stuffs in it than otherwise. If you didn’t enjoy The Lightning Thief, there is a slight chance you might love this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.