Michelle's Reviews > A Distant Melody

A Distant Melody by Sarah Sundin

Mar 19, 2010

bookshelves: blog-tour-book, christianfiction, forreview, forpleasure, historicalfiction
Read in March, 2010

Wow, wow, wow! As the characters in this book would say, "What a swell read!" I am a big fan of WWII fiction and could actually hear the characters talking as I read this book. It made me think of the old movies set in that era. I felt like I was living within the pages because the setting was so well done. While this was a thick novel, don't let it deceive you. I zipped right through it in a few days. I can't stand it when books drag on forever and this one didn't slow or lag at all. It was the perfect length and just the right amount of tension and action to keep the plot interesting and moving along.

The love story in this book was also highly addictive. While not edgy at all, I was desperately wanting them to kiss and be together so they could experience true love with each other. I think I was pining for them even more than they were! I loved that the author knew how to put her characters through the wringer enough where you could really empathize with them and their conflicts. And if there was ever a story that illustrated the consequences of lying--no matter how small those lies seem--this was the best example I've found with that message in years. Their love for the Lord was key to the storyline, too, and I loved how the author pulled those truths together through the plot to show how important it is to marry someone who believes in Christ when you are a Christian.

Did I mention how much I love reading WWII fiction? I had a blast flying with these flyboys and participating in their dangerous missions. I really had a keen sense of being on a bomber and all that was involved in flying during WWII. I loved how the authors showed the tragedy of combat, but also that even the enemy is human, like in the scene where the enemy read the Scripture on their damaged plane and spared them due to a mutual appreciation for Christian faith. The lesson about obedience and sacrifice was priceless, too.

This was a wonderful, wonderful story with many nuggets of truth that the reader can glean from the storyline. I can't say enough good things about this book!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Distant Melody.

03/16 page 45
05/28 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

Margaret Chind I really love this book. It really is one of the best I've read.

Michelle Those debuts just keep getting better and better. Revell puts out fabulous fiction. :)

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet My dad flew on a B-17 in WWII. He was a gunner and medic. He returned with a whopping case of PTSD that destroyed his life and our family. It sounds like this book glossed over the harsh realities of war and the long-lasting consequences.

Margaret Chind I agree Michelle, Revell is putting out some really great stuff these days.

Janet - I do not think they glossed over it at all. The story definitely shared some of the harsh details, but with the grace and strength of God there is hope to continue and live a happy life.